The Maritime History of Fowey
The port of Fowey made its first shipment of china clay in 1869 when the railway lines were used to bring in locally mined china clay. In the same year, the jetties were built and operated by the railway companies and the Fowey Harbour Commissioners were formed to become the port authority. The sailing ships of the early days found it difficult to negotiate the currents and wind conditions within the estuary and in 1881 the first tug was used in Fowey to assist vessels for safety and commercial reasons. From this to the present day, Fowey has had a towage service within the port.